Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Birth Story- Oliver Warner

My original due date was May 17th but about halfway through my third trimester my midwife changed the date to the 12th solely based on the hugeness of my belly I'm sure (although it might have also been because of the baby's measurements in both ultrasounds). I still kept the 17th in mind and was prepared to go 2 weeks over as many people told me that can be the case with your first. Basically the baby would be born sometime in May-
a taurus or a gemini.....

So I was still working full days on May 10th when I finally felt some contractions in the afternoon. I was so excited as up to this point I hadn't had anything- no braxton hicks, no cramps no signs that this baby was thinking of making moves anytime soon! After work my sister and I went to my friend Jaime's to check out her new baby doll lamb, I was having contractions the entire time but chalked it up to a little pre-labour. We got home around 7:00pm-ish my sister left and the contractions stayed. Still thinking this was a wee bit of false labour that would go away I started cleaning and doing laundry like a crazy person (nest much?). Guy got home around 8:30 and by 9:00pm we were timing the contractions, they were coming steady every 2 minutes and by 11 we called our midwife Rebekah. She came to the house to see how far dilated I was and I was 6 cm! So she unpacked the gear and we set up for the homebirth

Now in my delusionalness it had never crossed my mind that this was in fact real labour and that my son was on his way, so we were rushing to set up the birthing tub and bed in the kitchen all the while my contractions continue to get stronger. By 3:00 am my water still hadn't broken so Rebekah broke it to help things along. It worked - soon after I was pushing and pushing some more for what felt like forever.......
and then at 6:10 am Oliver Warner was born!




It was such incredible feeling having my baby placed in my arms for the first time! He was so alert and wide awake and although I was completely exhausted (I had been up for a full 24 hours at this point) Guy and I were totally in love with our gorgeous baby boy. Oliver and I shared an amazing herbal bath together shortly after and then I got to crawl into my own bed. Now not only was  labouring and birthing at home awesome but the fact that I got to bathe in my own tub and sleep in my own bed (with freshly washed sheets... thanks to my obsessive labour cleaning) was just unreal!


My delivery was everything I hoped it would be (although next time I wouldn't mind if I don't have to push for soooooo long!) and I am so thankful for my wonderful midwives. They were loving, motherly and encouraging when I needed it, letting me go with what my body was telling me to do. Having a natural homebirth (no drugs not even tylenol!) was so empowering and gave me a new confidence as I entered into mamahood.
Midwives are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...