Sunday, August 29, 2010

Flip for Cloth Diapers

I was planning on using cloth diapers right from the get go, I even purchased a cloth diapering system before Oliver was born. At first they seemed too big so I used disposables but then 1 month went by and then a few more weeks and I was still unhappy with the diapers I bought. Luckily I had only washed a few of the diapers and not all 36 that I had purchased so I returned them and went on the hunt for a new cloth diaper....

I tried a few different kinds, the first one was a two part "always fit" that had the cloth diaper and then a waterproof cover with snap in liners for an extra booster if needed. These diaper also are suppose to fit from newborn to toddler so you are only buying one set not different sizes. These definitely didn't work for Oliver's shape (he has a very cute but substantial milk belly and very juicy thighs).

Next I tried the Applecheeks, a waterproof cover with a bamboo insert. It comes in 2 sizes so not the most economical choice but I wasn't happy with the fit of the cover and the fact that he peed through this one in about 2 secends.

Then we moved onto the Kushies ultra lite all in one diaper. These worked ok, they were the best fit so far but still kinda of bulky and again you have to purchase infant size and toddler size. Oliver is a heavy wetter and these handled it but we did experience some poo leakage as it didn't fit very tightly around the leg.

Then during one of our Mommy and Baby yoga classes a fellow mama showed me the Flip Diaper she was using. It was a waterproof cover with a insert and it was a onesize with snaps so you can customize the fit from newborn to toddler. She had tried several types as well and was totally satisfied with this one... so we decided to try it.

And we flipped for the Flip!
 It has elastic-y sides to ensure a snug but comfortable fit and with all snaps you really can adjust the fit. The are a few insert options- the stay dry (which I am using), organic insert or disposable (which is a nice option if you are travelling). The diaper with stay dry liner is about $20 CAD and the individual liners are about $5.00. I purchased 4 covers with inserts and additional 20 inserts for a total of $200 dollars so pretty reasonable, although I think I will add a few extra covers to our stash.


 






So for anyone thinking of using cloth diapers, I would recommend trying a few types before you invest in one system as it really depends on your baby's shape and well we certainly don't all wear the same kind of underwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...